guix-devel

Re: Freenode Administration

From: Tobias Geerinckx-Rice
Subject: Re: Freenode Administration
Date: Thu, 20 May 2021 12:26:30 +0200

Hi Bone,

Bone Baboon 写道:
Will Guix continue to use Freenode?

No. #guix is now on Libera Chat[0], the new name of what was ‘Freenode’ before yesterday's hostile takeover of the freenode.net infra.

I updated the docs and the Web site yesterday. It probably took a while to refresh.

Many thanks to Taylan for grabbing Libera's #guix before squatters could and for giving us administrative access. I've applied for more official ‘project’ status like we had at old Freenode.

The old #guix channel still exists. Users will see the new network name advertised in the /topic and ENTRYMSG if supported by their client, but I don't plan on ‘closing’ it unless it becomes a problem somehow.

Will Guix create #guix channels on other IRC networks? (Several of the
resignation letters refer to <https://libera.chat/>)

Over the years multiple authors of those letters have been extremely helpful, responsive, and downright friendly to me whenever I bothered them with my noob questions. It never felt like I was talking to overworked volunteers. I didn't hesitate for a moment to trust their judgment.

Will Guix start it's own IRC server(s)?

François is right: starting and running an IRC server is a serious commitment, not something you do on Sundays. Leave it to competent people who are passionate about doing their thing well.

Don't get me wrong: I <3 self-hosting. Perhaps we can host one of the mentioned IRC alternatives, but I urge anyone volunteering: bridge it with IRC so's not to split the community further.

Kind regards,

T G-R

[0]: https://libera.chat/