guix-devel

Re: Freenode Administration

From: François
Subject: Re: Freenode Administration
Date: Thu, 20 May 2021 10:29:39 +0200

Hello,

On Wed, May 19, 2021 at 01:54:45PM -0400, Bone Baboon wrote:
> Will Guix continue to use Freenode?
>
> Will Guix create #guix channels on other IRC networks? (Several of the
> resignation letters refer to <https://libera.chat/>)

The channel #guix will probably continue to exist on Freenode but most
users are switching to libera.chat.

As we talk the logs on http://logs.guix.gnu.org/guix are now those of
#guix on libera.chat

I have the feeling that the Guix website will be updated soon to reflect
this move.

> Will Guix start it's own IRC server(s)?

It is not an option discussed and I think it would be a misplacement of
Guix scarce resources.

> # IRC alternatives / compliments

On alternatives you missed Matrix[1] which is federated (like email)
and have several clients includig weechat for text-based interface.

Several people (and I am one of them) already uses Matrix clients to
access IRC networks with bridges (which libera.chat does not already
have but work is in progress).

There is even some ongoing work ([2], [3]) on making Matrix more
peer-to-peer but it is still completely experimental.

[1]: https://matrix.org
[2]: https://matrix.org/blog/2021/05/06/introducing-the-pinecone-overlay-network
[3]: https://matrix.org/blog/2020/06/02/introducing-p-2-p-matrix