guix-devel

ocaml - how can we get more recent version of core-kernel and common ppx

From: Erik
Subject: ocaml - how can we get more recent version of core-kernel and common ppx'es
Date: Tue, 18 May 2021 06:21:30 +0000

Hi, I have a project that requires a more recent core-kernel and some of the ppx'es (such as ppx_fields_conv).

Being very new to guix I've managed to add/update packages for python and ruby stuff, but this ocaml.scm file is quite different. There's a lot going on which I'm guessing is related to complexities arising from the whole ppx transition that happened in the ocaml ecosystem a few years ago, or perhaps just to the somewhat unsynchronized way libraries move to new versions of the compiler and libs (just speculating here).

Anyway afaict (with my limited guix-fu) I would either need to duplicate a whole lot of packages or somehow reorganize things to share definitions where it makes sense. Both those options would require some coordination with the people who made the ocaml.scm infrastructure first, because clearly there are projects out there that need the current set of packages to work like they do now and I don't want to just post a huge patch that surprises these people.

Can we get a thread going somewhere on adding a recent version of ocaml-core-kernel (for the 4.11.1 ocaml package, possibly bumping that to 4.11.2 in the process)?

Best regards,
Erik Lovlie