guix-devel

Re: unifying mcron and shepherd, service woes, improvements

From: raingloom
Subject: Re: unifying mcron and shepherd, service woes, improvements
Date: Sun, 16 May 2021 20:17:31 +0200

On Sat, 15 May 2021 18:59:52 +0200
Ludovic Courtès <ludo@gnu.org> wrote:

> > Security could also be improved probably. Can we have an OCAP model?
> > I feel like I don't know enough to say, so this mail is meant more
> > as a conversation starter.
>
> I think “having an ocap model” sounds nice but also vague.  :-)
>
> A concrete step we can take is follow the principle of least authority
> (POLA) for more services.  That was the spirit of
> <https://guix.gnu.org/en/blog/2017/running-system-services-in-containers/>.

By OCAP I was thinking of things like not having global state, or at
least not having it implicitly. Something more functional. The lambda
calculus supports the OCAP model, and Guix is all about being
functional, so service management should not be any different.

Would also be nice if replacing running components was supported, a la
Erlang. Maybe steal the supervisor tree idea as well.