guix-devel

Re: Cuirass accessibility

From: Luis Felipe
Subject: Re: Cuirass accessibility
Date: Sat, 15 May 2021 15:13:45 +0000

On Thursday, May 13, 2021 7:07 PM, Mathieu Othacehe <othacehe@gnu.org> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> As part of the Cuirass NLNet grant[1], the website at
> https://ci.guix.gnu.org has been audited by the Accessibility
> Foundation[2].

That's nice.

> I have made the report public here[3]. Although I have already applied a
> bunch of accessibility related fixes, there's still some work left. The
> report if full of interesting teachings, and if some people want to join
> me, they are more than welcome :).

Not offering to help right now, but just wanted to comment that I've audited a
couple of websites before for accessibility using the WCAG-EM 1.0 (although I'm
not an expert), and I've found that while website developers tend to improve
accessibility based on the results, websites lose part of that accessibility
again when their maintenance change hands or depend on new people that are not
familiar with accessibility.

Personally, I also tend to forget some best practices with time...

Maybe, with Guix websites, READMEs could state clearly developers are aiming
for Level AA conformance, and suggest contributors to check for common
accessibility problems (and even HTML/CSS/FEED validity) when they make
structural or style changes.