guix-devel

Re: Jam: which licence is this?

From: Ludovic Courtès
Subject: Re: Jam: which licence is this?
Date: Sun, 02 May 2021 23:12:51 +0200

Hi,

Mark H Weaver <mhw@netris.org> skribis:

> For most purposes, the relevant question is: which license(s) cover the
> source code, because that's where users will want to exercise the four
> freedoms of free software.  The license(s) that cover the package
> outputs are of far less interest, because that's not where users will
> exercise the four freedoms.
>
> The 'license' field can only mean one of these two things, and I think
> it's fairly clear which one it should be.  Moreover, I think that this
> is what it has always meant in Guix.  If not, that's a problem.
>
> Perhaps Ludovic would like to clarify?

I think Leo’s description reflects the initial intent (I believe this
was discussed a few times on the mailing lists in the early years).

The GNU Hello example Leo gave is a good one: we state the license that
applies to what gets installed and do not list licenses applicable to
auxiliary build scripts, say.

HTH!

Ludo’.