guix-devel

Re: Outreachy: Timeline tasks

From: lubrito
Subject: Re: Outreachy: Timeline tasks
Date: Thu, 29 Apr 2021 16:02:54 +0000

Hi,

On Wed, 28 Apr 2021 21:00:44 +0100
Christopher Baines <mail@cbaines.net> wrote:

I think time is the main thing, since that alone will help to identify
which are the slow parts.

Indeed, simplicity is a good thing to keep in mind.

I'll keep in mind what you have said, so here are some ideas to
break the tasks.

Task 1: Add instrumentation to identify the slow parts of processing
  new revisions

        - Implementing a chart over time to identify slow parts;
        - Select candidate parts to be analyzed;
        - Should this part really be taking all this time?
          - Identify if the delay is caused by the code itself or by a
            query.
        - Prepare a document organizing where each part should
          be improved.

Task 2: Improve the performance of these slow parts

        - implementing each improvements.

This Task 2 is really difficult for me to divide in smaller tasks, I'm
really stuck with ideas.

I took a look at one of the logs as you told me, and I found this parts
taking a considerable time:

- Computing the channel derivations 636s
- Acquiring advisory transaction lock:
- Getting derivation lint warnings 975s
- fetching inferior lint warnings 1488s
- Acquiring advisory transaction lock:
- Querying the temp-package-metadata 1949s
- Fetching inferior package metadata 2476s

To pick this parts is what should be facilitated by the chart?
So I would perform the analysis of the task 1 and then the ta

By the way, I noticed that the ones I marked with * are performed twice.
Why is that?

--
Best Regards,

Luciana Lima Brito