guix-devel

Re: Jam: which licence is this?

From: Vagrant Cascadian
Subject: Re: Jam: which licence is this?
Date: Sun, 25 Apr 2021 13:23:24 -0700

On 2021-04-25, Jack Hill wrote:
> I'm working on packaging the Argyll Color Management System for Guix. To
> build, it uses the Jam tool, which has the following license:
>
> ```
> This is Release 2.5 of Jam, a make-like program.
>
> License is hereby granted to use this software and distribute it
> freely, as long as this copyright notice is retained and modifications
> are clearly marked.
>
> ALL WARRANTIES ARE HEREBY DISCLAIMED.
> ```

Permission to use, check.
Permission to study, probably(?)
Permission to share, check.
Permission to modify, .... ?

Is it even free software? There is no mention of modification which
doesn't appear to be free by my layman's reading...

Which brings up an ugly bag of worms regarding boost...

live well,
  vagrant