guix-devel

Re: bug#47867: [1.2.1 pre-release testing] substitute downloading and TL

From: pelzflorian (Florian Pelz)
Subject: Re: bug#47867: [1.2.1 pre-release testing] substitute downloading and TLS errors
Date: Fri, 23 Apr 2021 16:07:50 +0200

Success!  Thank you.
65;6003;1c
On Fri, Apr 23, 2021 at 11:19:28AM +0200, Ludovic Courtès wrote:
> Florian, could you try again with the attached patch?

It succeeds on two full installs of Enlightenment, no errors, no
prolonged getting stuck.

> If you have the courage, it would be awesome if you could also try the
> patch without the ‘error/again’ bits.

This fails.  I tried with

-        (unless (false-if-networking-error
-                 (begin
-                   (for-each (cut write-request <> buffer) batch)
-                   (put-bytevector p (get))
-                   (force-output p)
-                   #t))
-          ;; If PORT becomes unusable, open a fresh connection and retry.
-          (close-port p)                          ; close the broken port
-          (connect #f requests result)))
+        ;; Swallow networking errors that could occur due to connection reuse
+        ;; and the like; they will be handled down the road when trying to
+        ;; read responses.
+        (false-if-networking-error
+         (begin
+           (for-each (cut write-request <> buffer) batch)
+           (put-bytevector p (get))
+           (force-output p))))

only and not the rest of your patch, on Guix git master where the full
patch had worked, it fails again with TLS errors (the same error of
Resource temporarily unavailable in procedure
'write_to_session_record_port') after downloading the enlightenment
substitute.

> I double-checked and the GnuTLS Guile bindings already
> handle GNUTLS_E_AGAIN and GNUTLS_E_INTERRUPTED, so my guess is that this
> was just a side effect of dealing with stale TLS sessions:
>   https://gitlab.com/gnutls/gnutls/-/blob/master/guile/src/core.c#L1042

Strange,.

Regards,
Florian