guix-devel

Re: Petition to remove hidden flag from cmake-minimal package

From: Ludovic Courtès
Subject: Re: Petition to remove hidden flag from cmake-minimal package
Date: Fri, 02 Apr 2021 18:37:31 +0200

Hi Tom,

Tom Hiller <thrilleratplay@gmail.com> skribis:

> I am using it with pack and the minimal requirement the size down but
> also prevents a large number of dependencies from being pulled in when
> building from source.

The latter is true and makes sense to me, but note that both take about
the same amount of space:

$ guix size $(guix build -e '(@@ (gnu packages cmake) cmake-minimal)')|tail -1
total: 215.1 MiB
$ guix size cmake | tail -1
total: 217.8 MiB

The two are functionally equivalent (same run-time dependencies), which
I guess is the reason why ‘cmake-minimal’ isn’t public, unlike other
“-minimal” variants.

Ludo’.