guix-devel

Re: GNOME 40 work should be done on Savannah

From: Léo Le Bouter
Subject: Re: GNOME 40 work should be done on Savannah
Date: Wed, 31 Mar 2021 04:08:28 +0200

On Tue, 2021-03-30 at 21:55 -0400, Mark H Weaver wrote:
> I'm sorry if that happened.  It was not my intent.  Can you show me
> what
> I wrote that misrepresents your position?

I don't have the energy now I feel already bad enough this discussion
even happened, in a way that even Ludo, the creator of the GNU Guix
project, ended up saying that they think I don't understand the review
process. I think I do understand it and I wonder why anyone made me a
GNU Guix committer if they think any other way.

> I answered essentially the same question in my last message, so I'm
> not
> sure why you're asking again.  We've been successfully accepting
> contributions from non-committers for years.

I think one has to realize that being a non-committer is a really
frustrating experience even if your work is of good quality and that
frustrating experience is demotivating and makes people give up. And
having a branch and special relationship with a GNU Guix committer
(like what we're doing with Raghav) is helpful to capture Raghav's
motivation and energy in a way they do not get frustrated and give up.

> Yes, of course.  To be clear: you are well within your *rights* to do
> so, regardless of what anyone else thinks.
>
> My main concerns are:
>
> (1) The primary branch for GNOME 40 work should be on Savannah, and
>     that's where we should encourage Guix developers to do this work.
>     No Guix developer should be asked to work on an external site in
>     order to contribute to the GNOME 40 effort.

That's where it felt it was the best place to collaborate for me and
Raghav (non-committer).

> (2) Any work that you and Raghav do on an external site should be
>     _regularly_ merged into Savannah, in manageable pieces, after
> being
>     reviewed of course.  If you do this, my concerns over review
> quality
>     would be addressed.

We already seek to do this.

> (3) If changes are made on the 'wip' branch on Savannah that conflict
>     with your preliminary work on an external site, it would be your
>     responsibility to rebase your work as needed, just as anyone
>     proposing a patch would be expected to do.  That should be an
>     incentive to submit your work to Savannah early and often.

If changes were to be made in a way that rebasing work and solving
conflicts becomes too much trouble we will probably give up (Raghav
probably) and there wont be any GNOME 40 upgrade.

> Would this be acceptable to you?

I don't even know anymore.

>     Regards,
>       Mark