guix-devel

Re: guix environment guix -pure can't locate lesspipe

From: c4t0
Subject: Re: guix environment guix -pure can't locate lesspipe
Date: Wed, 24 Mar 2021 11:41:29 -0300

Julien Lepiller <julien@lepiller.eu> writes:

> Le 23 mars 2021 18:25:38 GMT-04:00, c4t0 <c4t0@riseup.net> a écrit :
>>
>>Hi,
>>
>>I'm having trouble importing a package from hackage, so I tried to
>>debug
>>the import source code. After cloning guix I found that I can't start a
>>pure environment:
>>
>>guix environment guix --pure --ad-hoc help2man git strace
>>Command 'lesspipe' is available in the following places
>> * /bin/lesspipe
>> * /usr/bin/lesspipe
>>The command could not be located because '/bin:/usr/bin' is not
>>included in the PATH environment variable.
>>lesspipe: command not found
>
> This is probably because a start file from bash or your shell uses
> lesspipe, but it's not available in the environment. Something similar
> happens to me on Fedora where it wants to install software that's
> already there. I simply deny the request to install, as it's not a
> fatal error.

You're right, the culprit was:

# make less more friendly for non-text input files, see lesspipe(1)
[ -x /usr/bin/lesspipe ] && eval "$(SHELL=/bin/sh lesspipe)"

so I replace it with:

[ -x /usr/bin/lesspipe ] \
    && [ $(echo $PATH | grep ':/bin:' >/dev/null; echo $?) -eq 0 ] \
    && eval "$(SHELL=/bin/sh lesspipe)"

a little verbose, but it works.

>>If I use --container it works:
>>
>>$guix environment guix --pure --ad-hoc help2man git strace lesspipe
>>--container
>>me@mypc ~/guix/git/guix [env]$
>>
>>but then I have problems connecting with the daemond:
>>./pre-inst-env guix build hello
>>guix build: error: failed to connect
>>to`/usr/local/var/guix/daemon-socket/socket': No such file or directory
>
> Here, you probably.forgot to pass --localstatedir as documented in the
> manual. If you don't do so, it might result in a broken guix installation!

Ok, after:
$guix environment guix --pure --ad-hoc help2man git strace
$./bootstrap
$./configure --localstatedir=/var
$./pre-inst-env guix build hello

it builds fine!

>>(also there isn't any file in my user environment with that name)
>>
>>So I have to run guix environment with --network and start one:
>>$guix environment guix --pure --ad-hoc help2man git strace lesspipe
>>--container
>>me@mypc ~/guix/git/guix [env]$
>>
>>and then
>>./pre-inst-env guix-daemon &
>>and
>>./pre-inst-env guix build hello
>>
>>it appears to work, but really I don't know if i'm making a mess at
>>this point... I can't pass --build-users-group=guixbuild because it
>>doesn't exist inside the container.
>>And besides more that one daemon in the same store shurely produces
>>nasty race conditions.
>
> You shouldn't run guix-daemon from the checkout. It is not
> needed. Normally, you should be able to share /var/guix inside the
> container, but the container itself should not be needed.

Ok, it was my mistake, didn't realize that the problem was in .bashrc;
I'll use it without a container. No problem using the store, when
developing then? I guess that the calculated hash will be different and
I will not break anything. The environment ¢ommand takes care of
protecting the profile.

Maybe I should have sended this mail to help-guix.

Thanks again!