guix-devel

Re: gnu: imagemagick/fixed: Redirect old sonames to new sonames.

From: Leo Famulari
Subject: Re: gnu: imagemagick/fixed: Redirect old sonames to new sonames.
Date: Sat, 20 Mar 2021 14:28:30 -0400

On Fri, Mar 19, 2021 at 08:14:03PM -0400, Mark H Weaver wrote:
> Leo Famulari <leo@famulari.name> writes:
>
> > On Thu, Mar 18, 2021 at 09:40:04AM -0400, Mark H Weaver wrote:
> >> I knew this couldn't be right, but I thought I remembered it having
> >> fewer dependencies.  Oh well.  Sorry for the noise.
> >
> > It's relatively new that ImageMagick is depended on by so many packages.
> > I think we should look into this and see if we can significantly reduce
> > the number.
>
> The following dependency chain seems to be responsible for most of the
> imagemagick-dependent packages:
>
> gtk+@3 -> at-spi2-atk -> at-spi2-core -> gtk-doc -> dblatex -> imagemagick

Thanks, that's useful.

But, I think this dependency chain has existed for a long time (notes
about this at the end of my message).

I wonder if there is some newer change that has increased the number of
ImageMagick dependents. Maybe it's just that GTK+ is depended on by a
lot of packages?

Chris (cc-ed), is this something that Guix Data Service can help us
answer?

To clarify, the question is, what changed in the package dependency
graph that caused so many packages to transitively depend on
ImageMagick? Previously, we could update ImageMagick on the master
branch.

------
Exploring the history of the dependency chain, using trusty `git log`:

Dblatex was added in 2014, with a dependency on imagemagick.

Gtk-doc was added in 2015, with a dependency on dblatex.

at-spi2-core became dependent on gtk-doc in 2018. at-spi2-atk has
depended on at-spi2-core since it was added 2013

And gtk+ has depended on at-spi2-atk since 2013.