guix-devel

Re: Release 1.2.1: status

From: zimoun
Subject: Re: Release 1.2.1: status
Date: Fri, 19 Mar 2021 09:50:55 +0100

Hi Chris,

On Thu, 18 Mar 2021 at 23:37, Chris Marusich <cmmarusich@gmail.com> wrote:

> More review is welcome, but unless some unforeseen issues are
> discovered, I agree that we can go ahead with adding support for
> powerpc64le-linux.

Great!

> Where is the release work happening?  Where can I merge or apply these
> changes to ensure they get included in the next release?

The release work happens on master.  The branch wip-next-release
contains fixes, but AFAIK, it is not built by the CI, and these fixes
are ’core-updates’-like changes; I do not know if it is doable to merge
on time.

Well, maybe the patches could be directly applied to master, IMHO.

Quote the proposed Release timeline [1]:

        A draft of the timeline is:

         - until April 1rst: fixes, check substitute availability, etc.
         - as soon as possible: start to build wip-next-release
         - merge branch wip-next-release when ready
         - on Monday 12th April, string freeze
         - couple of days after, branch the release and write the materials
           (ChangeLog and posts)
         - release

Cheers,
simon

PS: Sorry if the release process appears unclear.  Based on the
experiences of 1.2.0 and now this one, the idea is to propose then a
clear documented timeline for the next releases.  Basically, some
technical items are described in maintenance/doc/release.org [2] and
from my point of view, some items describing the (timeline) process
should be added.  Maybe in the manual so that we all know what we can
«expect».

1: <867dmcifii.fsf@gmail.com">https://yhetil.org/guix/867dmcifii.fsf@gmail.com>
2: <https://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/guix/maintenance.git/tree/doc/release.org>