guix-devel

Re: Fedora/Debian release monitoring inspiration for Guix Data Service

From: Léo Le Bouter
Subject: Re: Fedora/Debian release monitoring inspiration for Guix Data Service
Date: Wed, 17 Mar 2021 18:47:52 +0100

On Wed, 2021-03-17 at 18:35 +0100, Ludovic Courtès wrote:
> Established distros have great tools and services for that.
>
> Guix has ‘guix refresh’, which predates some of the trendy
> release/CVE
> monitoring services and actually works well.  It’s not perfect, but
> it’s
> good, so my advice would be to work on improving it.
>
> If you look at Guix’s design and history, you’ll find that much is
> built
> in a way that avoids relying on external services when we can.

Just to clarify, I also get behind that very much I was suggesting the
functional part more so than the service kind, even though I think
services (like Guix Data Service) are OK as long as datasets are easily
exportable and the service itself can easily be re-deployed through GNU
Guix as well.

It seems GNU Guix takes a generic approach to updates while Debian or
Fedora seems to look at specialized rules for each package, I was
thinking we could import those already existing rules (in Fedora's or
Debian's) into GNU Guix, I find it a superior approach for reliability
of notifications even though generic updaters are also very
complementary.