guix-devel

Re: Fedora/Debian release monitoring inspiration for Guix Data Service

From: Léo Le Bouter
Subject: Re: Fedora/Debian release monitoring inspiration for Guix Data Service
Date: Tue, 16 Mar 2021 12:14:32 +0100

On Tue, 2021-03-16 at 12:12 +0100, Ricardo Wurmus wrote:
> Léo Le Bouter <lle-bout@zaclys.net> writes:
>
> > I am thinking we should really get something like this with the
> > Guix
> > Data Service, start including something similar to Debian
> > uscan/watch
> > rules in every package so we can get reliable (in majority of
> > cases)
> > update notifications.
>
> “guix lint” has a checker for releases:

> $ guix lint -l
> Available checkers:
> […]
> - refresh: Check the package for new upstream releases
>
> It just needs to be extended to cover more packages.
>
> Developing a service that runs this for all packages is an orthogonal
> issue.

Just to clarify, I do know it exists and use it often :-)
Indeed it needs to be extended and that's what I am talking about
there, also Guix Data Service is important here because we cannot
possibly each on our sides spam the various URLs or APIs to generate
the release monitoring dataset. Instead, using Guix Data Service for
that with specially configured API keys and else sounds like a better
idea.