guix-devel

Re: guix home

From: Ryan Prior
Subject: Re: guix home
Date: Mon, 15 Mar 2021 02:15:28 +0000

On March 14, 2021, Joshua Branson <jbranso@dismail.de> wrote:
Andrew Tropin <andrew@trop.in> writes:

> There is an implementation of `guix home` subcommand, which behaves
> similar to `guix system`

Thanks for sharing this Andrew, it looks awesome & I'm going to give it a try!

What do you think about changing the command? It manages user files, user services, user environment variables, the lifecycle of user sessions. So we could have "guix system" for system-level things, and "guix user" for user-level things. Similarly, many of the services you describe sound to me like they would be easier to understand what they do with names like "user-service," "user-environment-vars," etc.

I feel Guix needs something like this upstream. Whether this is the right implementation or not I'm not qualified to judge, but I'll read the source code and see what I can learn or contribute!

Ryan