guix-devel

Re: I've rebased wip-ppc64le onto core-updates

From: Efraim Flashner
Subject: Re: I've rebased wip-ppc64le onto core-updates
Date: Wed, 10 Mar 2021 12:37:28 +0200

On Wed, Mar 10, 2021 at 11:17:02AM +0100, Ludovic Courtès wrote:
> Hi Chris,
>
> Chris Marusich <cmmarusich@gmail.com> skribis:
>
> > I just wanted to let you know that I've rebased the wip-ppc64le branch
> > onto core-updates.  The wip-ppc64le branch head used to be
> > 147b74817e6cf97f37090ecfd52e2588f4c39f7e, but now it's
> > df5d633db7acf6389ca9d444b8f5784a0da5ac5d.
> >
> > I wanted to inform you so you don't get caught off-guard the next time
> > you update your local copy.
> >
> > I've squished some commits together where it made sense to do so.  I've
> > omitted some commits which were cherry-picked before, but which are
> > already in the core-updates branch.  And I have explicitly NOT merged
> > master into wip-ppc64le at this time.
>
> Noted.
>
> > I have also taken the liberty of cherry-picking Tobias' commit
> > 65fb3a3eb9a759e3dba18e78113e80d7e5b353f4 from master, which adds Léo to
> > .guix-authorizations.  This should allow him to add commits on
> > wip-ppc64le without worrying about causing problems for "guix pull"
> > later.
>
> Good idea.
>
> We’ll have to think about merging.  At things stand, it seems that the
> bits that could go to ‘master’ (those that don’t trigger a world
> rebuild) are already there, right?
>
> For the rest, we could aim for rebasing on core-updates and merging
> there.
>
> WDYT?

As noted in another thread this would involve updating gcc to gcc-8.
There are some other patches which could go straight into master (I'm
looking at libelf specifically, probably others), but glibc and
gcc/libstdc++ I'm not sure how to do those ones.

Actually, looking at the branch there's also findutils-boot0, but that
can be changed to only be for target-powerpc for now and changed in
core-updates. I have a similar one I had to do for binutils on
powerpc-linux that I managed to make not affect other architectures.