guix-devel

Re: Hurd substitute availability (27.5%) and next steps?

From: Christopher Baines
Subject: Re: Hurd substitute availability (27.5%) and next steps?
Date: Mon, 08 Mar 2021 22:47:29 +0000

Vincent Legoll <vincent.legoll@gmail.com> writes:

> Hello,
>
> On Mon, Mar 8, 2021 at 10:57 PM Christopher Baines <mail@cbaines.net> wrote:
>> In terms of getting more packages building, and substitute availability,
>> personally I think it would be useful to disable tests for packages for
>> i586-gnu if that gets packages building. It's not ideal to not run the
>> tests, but it's also difficult to investigate the failures and develop
>> patches if you don't have substitutes for the software you need to do
>> that (like Git for example).
>
> Is disabling tests for a whole platform possible without patching all the
> build recipes ?

Probably, although I still think it's worth considering every package on
a case by case basis, and looking at fixing the tests.

I just think it will be more effective to disable tests for some
packages, so that it becomes easier to debug things and work on the Hurd
in general.

>> often I'll be unable to SSH in
>
> Couldn't you get a console from a virtual serial port from the VM ?

Maybe, I also want to look at getting the serial port output logged to a
file (if that's even possible).