guix-devel

Re: Xpdf with or without Qt

From: Vincent Legoll
Subject: Re: Xpdf with or without Qt
Date: Fri, 26 Feb 2021 17:27:47 +0100

Hello Andreas,

On Fri, Feb 26, 2021 at 4:43 PM Andreas Enge <andreas@enge.fr> wrote:
> commit 35089dca4053bf5888441d1648086cdadb6eb1e4 adds Qt to the xpdf package
> and removes most X libraries. The result is quite different and does not
> correspond to the synopsis "...based on the Motif toolkit" any more, and we
> get closer to more modern pdf readers such as evince or okular. On the other
> hand, I have been using xpdf as a "no frills" reader with an interface that
> had not changed forever, which I am missing now.
>
> Is this a change that became necessary with the update from 4.02 to 4.03
> (that looks minor from the numbers!)? If no, I would like to suggest getting
> back to the previous inputs. If yes, I do not quite know what to do :)

Yes, it fails without it:

CMake Warning at CMakeLists.txt:32 (message):
  Couldn't find Qt4 or Qt5 -- will not build xpdf.

>From the xpdf INSTALL file:
* Make sure you have the following installed:

    - CMake 2.8.8 or newer
    - FreeType 2.0.5 or newer
    - Qt 4.8.x or 5.x (for xpdf only)
    - libpng (for pdftoppm and pdftohtml)
    - zlib (for pdftoppm and pdftohtml)

  If Qt isn't found, the GUI viewer (xpdf) won't be built, but the
  command line tools will still be built.

This is also documented here:
http://www.xpdfreader.com/download.html

There may exist a cmake param to get the old bare xpdf, but
I've not found it.

--
Vincent Legoll