guix-devel

Re: Guix Day: Notes frome the Bootstrap session

From: Jan Nieuwenhuizen
Subject: Re: Guix Day: Notes frome the Bootstrap session
Date: Sat, 13 Feb 2021 10:40:33 +0100

Ludovic Courtès writes:

Hello,

> Jan Nieuwenhuizen <janneke@gnu.org> skribis:
>
>> Attached the notes from the "Bootstrap what's next" session yesterday.
>
> Thanks for sharing!
>
>> - Making the guix build system code less dependent on Guile and more
>>   dependent on MES
>
> Not necessarily more dependent on Mes :-), but rather portable between
> the two.

Ah, sure -- my bad for simply forwarding the notes without really
reading them, only adding the status update :-/

> On this topic, one action item we identified was to try and see what it
> would take to run (guix build gnu-build-system) and the modules it
> depends on on Mes.  If we can run that on Mes during early bootstrap
> (before Guile is built), then that’s a step towards removing the big
> ‘%bootstrap-guile’ binary seed.
>
> These modules require some Guilish module support as well as a bunch of
> (ice-9 *) and (srfi *) modules.  Perhaps with some tricks such as
> autoloads, we can reduce the number of modules actually needed.
>
> Another option is to write a simplified but compatible subset of (guix
> build gnu-build-system) specifically for use during early bootstrap.
>
> At any rate, the first step is to try to feed that code to Mes and see
> what happens.  :-)
>
> If you’ve always wanted to join the bootstrapping movement, now’s your
> opportunity!

Yes, very nice!  Note that we already have some experience with this:
the Nyacc project is a Guile library that runs on Mes; only minor
modifications were necesary.

Greetings,
Janneke

--