guix-devel

Re: Guix Day: Notes frome the Bootstrap session

From: Ludovic Courtès
Subject: Re: Guix Day: Notes frome the Bootstrap session
Date: Wed, 10 Feb 2021 22:59:07 +0100

Hi!

Jan Nieuwenhuizen <janneke@gnu.org> skribis:

> Attached the notes from the "Bootstrap what's next" session yesterday.

Thanks for sharing!

> - Making the guix build system code less dependent on Guile and more
>   dependent on MES

Not necessarily more dependent on Mes :-), but rather portable between
the two.

On this topic, one action item we identified was to try and see what it
would take to run (guix build gnu-build-system) and the modules it
depends on on Mes.  If we can run that on Mes during early bootstrap
(before Guile is built), then that’s a step towards removing the big
‘%bootstrap-guile’ binary seed.

These modules require some Guilish module support as well as a bunch of
(ice-9 *) and (srfi *) modules.  Perhaps with some tricks such as
autoloads, we can reduce the number of modules actually needed.

Another option is to write a simplified but compatible subset of (guix
build gnu-build-system) specifically for use during early bootstrap.

At any rate, the first step is to try to feed that code to Mes and see
what happens.  :-)

If you’ve always wanted to join the bootstrapping movement, now’s your
opportunity!

Ludo’.