guix-devel

Re: Identical files across subsequent package revisions

From: Jonathan Brielmaier
Subject: Re: Identical files across subsequent package revisions
Date: Wed, 23 Dec 2020 23:47:12 +0100

On 23.12.20 23:06, Mark H Weaver wrote:
Hi Taylan,

Taylan Kammer <taylan.kammer@gmail.com> writes:
My second thought: it's surprising that IceCat supposedly changes so
much between releases.  I suppose the reason is that this analysis is on
a per-file basis, and IceCat is mostly a massive binary.

FYI, here's the reason that IceCat is unusual among the projects sampled
in Ludovic's analysis: the large collection of JavaScript source files
and other auxiliary files, which are mostly unchanged from one release
to the next, are bundled into a single zip file in lib/icecat/omni.ja.

And even more most of the changed files differ only via the different
hash in the output path. So the actual diff is a few hundred lines of
almost the same -> should get compressed very good...