guix-devel

Re: Identical files across subsequent package revisions

From: zimoun
Subject: Re: Identical files across subsequent package revisions
Date: Wed, 23 Dec 2020 11:41:19 +0100

Hi again,

Sorry, I have not finished my previous email.  Wrong keystroke in the
wrong buffer because misuse of the Ludo’s code. :-)

On Wed, 23 Dec 2020 at 11:19, zimoun <zimon.toutoune@gmail.com> wrote:

>> I wanted to evaluate that by looking at store items corresponding to
>> subsequent revisions of a package (be it different versions or rebuilds
>> induced by dependencies), and this is what the program below does.

What I wanted to illustrate is “revision” does not mean “new version“
and I do not know what is the typical usage by people; aside Guix
dev. :-)

How many times per week or month people are doing “guix pull && guix
upgrade” almost blindly without reviewing what is new?

Last, I was trying to understand what is the “revision” number
corresponding to which outputs.  For example r-minimal:

<https://data.guix.gnu.org/repository/1/branch/master/package/r-minimal/output-history>

There are 3 outputs with 4.0.3, so I am expecting 3 similar revisions in
the chart.  Then 3 others with 4.0.2, then 2 others with 4.0.1.

In the 6 revisions in the chart, I was trying to figure out what does
mean the ’0’: r-minimal against which other one, i.e., which Guix commit
against which other one.  Idem for 1,2,3,4,5. :-)

BTW, really interesting topic!  Thanks Ludo. :-)

Cheers,
simon