guix-devel

Polkit now depends on Rust

From: Marius Bakke
Subject: Polkit now depends on Rust
Date: Sun, 13 Dec 2020 18:59:55 +0100

Hello,

Newer versions of 'polkit' depend on mozjs 78, which unsurprisingly
depends on Rust.

As Rust currently only builds on x86_64, that means an important piece
of desktop systems will no longer work on other architectures.

How should we deal with this?  I see a couple of options:

1. Stick with Polkit 0.116 indefinitely, backporting security fixes as
   they are discovered.
2. Use the newer version of Polkit on x86_64 only, leaving other
   architectures to "fend for themselves" so to speak.
3. Make Polkit work with mozjs 60.
4. Fix Rust on other architectures.

Obviously 4 is the better option, but I suppose it can take a while.  I
don't think anyone is actively working on it.  Volunteers wanted!

Thoughts?