guix-devel

Re: guix pack file enumerator?

From: zimoun
Subject: Re: guix pack file enumerator?
Date: Mon, 07 Dec 2020 16:14:32 +0100

Hi Ricardo,

On Sun, 06 Dec 2020 at 10:53, Ricardo Wurmus <rekado@elephly.net> wrote:

> What do you think about adding an output format that is no format at all
> but a file enumeration printed to stdout?  That way I could use “guix
> pack” to produce a list of files to transfer and use that to transfer
> only the unchanged files.  Alternatively, perhaps we could have a
> “directory” format that merely copies (or links) the files to a new
> directory root.

Well, I am not sure if it fits your use case but I am still annoyed to
find the “profile/manifest“ path when I use:

   guix pack -f docker --save-provenance -m manifest.scm

then extracts this “profile/manifest” needs:

   docker export -o foo.tar <ID>

   tar -xf foo.tar $(tar -tf foo.tar | grep ’profile/manifest’)

in order to rebuild an approximation of ’manifest.scm+channels.scm’ if it
has been lost, for example to be able to re-run at anytime:

   docker load < $(guix time-machine -C channels.scm \
                     -- pack -f docker \
                        -m manifest.scm)
   docker run -ti <TAG>

For reference, see <https://yhetil.org/guix/86sgb9nt4k.fsf@gmail.com>.

Therefore, I do not know if this output format is helping for this.

Thanks,
simon