guix-devel

Re: Dart Compiler

From: Nicolò Balzarotti
Subject: Re: Dart Compiler
Date: Tue, 24 Nov 2020 14:48:20 +0100

Hi!

Julien Lepiller <julien@lepiller.eu> writes:

> Wow, impressive :)
>
> Le 24 novembre 2020 08:26:16 GMT-05:00, "Nicolò Balzarotti"
> <anothersms@gmail.com> a écrit :
>>
>>Hello Guix!
>>
>>In the last few months I've been working on the dart compiler.
>>
>>Dart is a programming language by google [1], mostly used with the UI
>>Framework flutter [2].  When the android-sdk will be available on guix,
>>it should be possible to use dart+flutter to write android programs.
>>
>>As you can guess, dart compiler is written in dart.  The latest stable
>>version is 2.10.  Luckily, I was able to compile an old 2.0.0-dev
>>version from source.  Using this version, I could build the following:
>>
>>2.0.0-dev.8.0 -> 2.0.0-dev.20.0 -> 2.0.0-dev.24.0 -> 2.0.0-dev.36.0 ->
>>2.0.0-dev.42.0 -> 2.0.0-dev.54.0 -> 2.0.0-dev.65.0 -> 2.0.0-dev.65.0-2
>>-> 2.0.0-dev.66.0 -> 2.0.0-dev.67.0 -> 2.1.0-dev5.0 -> 2.1.0-dev6.0 ->
>>2.2.0 -> 2.4.0 -> 2.5.0
>>
>>I should be able to build the latest stable (2.10) with some more work
>>using version 2.5.
>>
>>I'm polishing the code a bit, and then I'll submit the patches.
>>However, the codebase is enormous, and the download page says that
>>analytics are enabled by default (but they can be disabled).  I'd patch
>>the analytic part disabling it all.  However, is there some process
>>that
>>the package should undergo?  Like, we have ungoogled-chromium, but I
>>know of no project that has "ungoogled" dart.
>
> To disable analytics entirely, you should use patches or snippets. When you
> send your patch series, we'll review tge source code and give you feed back
> if needed.

Perfect

> Some things to be aware of: some packages include pre-built versions of their
> dependencies. Can you check none of the package you build has a hidder .jar
> somewhere? If so, we have to remove them in a snippet.

I might be wrong, but java should not be involved here (I'm not
including java as an input).  I think it will be required when building
with the android sdk, but I still haven't tried running flutter yet, so
I've no idea.

However, during the "code polishing" I'll verify again that no binaries
are in the repo! (At first I tried using their tar.gz release, but they
included a full debian distribution (1.1Gb of gzipped data, 45Mb of
code)).

The repo is quite clean (with the downside that I have to specify all
compiler dart dependencies by hand.

I'll send a tentative patch series during the week, hopefully.

Thanks!
Nicolò