guix-devel

Re: Latest Nyxt features a GUI for Guix :)

From: Jan Wielkiewicz
Subject: Re: Latest Nyxt features a GUI for Guix :)
Date: Thu, 12 Nov 2020 17:06:31 +0100

Dnia 2020-11-12, o godz. 10:20:10
Pierre Neidhardt <mail@ambrevar.xyz> napisał(a):

> Ryan Prior <ryanprior@hey.com> writes:
>
> > On November 11, 2020, Jan Wielkiewicz
> > <tona_kosmicznego_smiecia@interia.pl> wrote:
> >> [web browsers are] a really poorly designed copy of
> >> operating systems and its utilities.
> >>
> >> [...]
> >>
> >> I just don't understand why in the web browser.
> >> I'll try it.
> >
> > The web browser is the primary operating environment for a lot of
> > people. Just as Emacs users built web browsers, terminal emulators,
> > and mail clients on the Emacs platform, the web platform also has
> > all those things (including various elaborate in-browser code
> > editors.) So I understand this as having the exact same genesis as
> > the Guix interface in Emacs: people would like to manage their
> > operating system using the interface they spend most of their time
> > in, and for Nyxt power users that would be their browser. I'm not
> > at all interested in managing my Guix packages using Nyxt, which is
> > highly correlated to my not being a Nyxt power user.
>
> Exactly :)

I see.

> To add to what Ryan said, Nyxt has a interesting design feature: it
> does not need to depend on a web browser!

If this is the case, then I have nothing against it. I just don't like
when programs depend on things they don't need to, like a calculator
app written in <insert JS framework> with 500MB of dependencies in
node_modules and Chromium. This isn't a joke, this is the reality we're
living in.

> Nyxt is rather a
> "Common Lisp interactive framework" and it would be perfectly possible
> to implement a textual interface à-la Emacs.  Of course, web page
> rendering would be much more limited though.
>
> I'd like to work on a pure GTK (or <insert-your-fav-toolkit-here>)
> version of Nyxt at some point.

Nice.