guix-devel

Re: Latest Nyxt features a GUI for Guix :)

From: Jan Wielkiewicz
Subject: Re: Latest Nyxt features a GUI for Guix :)
Date: Thu, 12 Nov 2020 17:00:46 +0100

Dnia 2020-11-12, o godz. 09:51:00
Ricardo Wurmus <rekado@elephly.net> napisaƂ(a):

> Jan Wielkiewicz <tona_kosmicznego_smiecia@interia.pl> writes:
>
> > I guess your choice comes from the lack of a proper GUI toolkit
> > available, but I'm just not a big fan of web browsers generally.
> > In fact I started writing my own GUI toolkit/application framework
> > in Guile just for the purpose of bringing modularity to GUI
> > applications, but I'm rather unexperienced and this might take a
> > few years.
>
> Is guile-gi not working well enough for your use case?

1. Never heard of it, but I'll check it out if it exists, maybe I can
reuse some code or improve it or even build on top of it.
Looking further into it I actually remember now what it is, just last
time I checked the bindings for GTK+ were outdated and not maintained
and guile-gi was in the early development stage.
2. I have some interesting ideas that would be a shame to waste. I
actually don't care what displays the GUI, I'm working more on a
modular desktop experience - the set of small GUI (and not only)
programs working together by passing messages.
3. That's my project to learn programming in Guile.

Thanks for mentioning guile-gi, this will speed up my experiments.

Jan Wielkiewicz