guix-devel

Re: branch master updated: gnu: nyxt: Update to 2-pre-release-3.

From: Marius Bakke
Subject: Re: branch master updated: gnu: nyxt: Update to 2-pre-release-3.
Date: Sun, 08 Nov 2020 16:16:40 +0100

Pierre Neidhardt <mail@ambrevar.xyz> writes:

> Hi Marius!
>
> Sorry about this! :(
>
>> If you happen to be around right now, can you confirm that there were no
>> changes to nyxt inputs in 573489fbcd68e3a89cc5c9c66693d3689b1b88bf?
>
> I don't have a Guix checkout at hand now so I can only tell you tomorrow.
> Did you manage to fix the merge conflict?

The merge was resolved in 32787d652460871a79f99b63230f92759e2e0de2.

> Otherwise go ahead and I'll fix the Nyxt recipe when you are done.

Great.  I verified that Nyxt builds on 'staging', but have not tried
running it.

> Out of curiosity: how do commit messages help you here?

It can be difficult to tell from the diff alone which inputs are native,
regular, or propagated.

Often when merging, I need to look at the conflicting commits multiple
times.  Having to deduce the changes every time carries a mental
overhead that is eliminated when I can compare the diff against the
commit message.

In this particular case I ended up writing down the changes for each
conflicting Nyxt commit (21e792, c5d9cd, 573489).  The latter was
especially tricky because it changed the indentation, but ultimately I
found that it had no input changes (by comparing line-for-line).

> Is there an automated way to report the inputs changes from the
> comment message?

I'm not sure what you mean, can you elaborate?

> Sorry for the troubles!

No worries.  :-)