guix-devel

Questions about Git and workflow

From: HiPhish
Subject: Questions about Git and workflow
Date: Tue, 18 Aug 2020 20:38:39 +0200

Hello everyone,

I am trying to get more serious about Guix, and I have a few questions about
how to develop Guix and the associated Git workflow. The manual in chapter 14.1
(Building from Git) explains most things pretty well.

My first question is regarding `guix git authenticate`. The first time I ran it
after a `git clone ...` and `guix environment guix` I got an error saying that
the `keyring` branch cannot be found. So I did a `git checkout --track origin/
keyring`, but I got a different error instead:

    $ guix git authenticate 9edb3f66fd807b096b48283debdcddccfea34bad "BBB0
2DDF 2CEA F6A8 0D1D  E643 A2A0 6DF2 A33A 54FA"
    Authenticating commits 9edb3f6 to ec32c85 (3 new commits)...
    guix git: error: commit ec32c8591eb111023db514800145532a1e454125 not
signed by an authorized key: F5DA 2032 4B87 3D0B 7A38  7672 0DB0 FF88 4F55
6D79

Finally I did a `git pull` on both the `keyring` and the `master` branch and
the check passed.

So my first question is: did I do it correctly? If not, what is the correct
workflow?

My second question is regarding the `.po` files which get changed during the
build process. Git shows me a number of language-specific files as modified,
even
though I never touched them by hand. Should those changes be commited? Should
I include them when I send a patch? Why are they even version-controlled if
they get changed automatically?

My last question is about the local state directory. The manual says the pass
my current local state directory (by default `/var`) to `./configure`, but then
my store gets mutated. I would prefer not to store my weird experiments where
my day-to-day packages lie. I know I can revert at any time, but I'd rather
not. I instead created `./var` and passed `$(pwd)/var` to `./configure`. The
question is, is this the way to go? When I tried building a package (`/pre-
inst-env guix install go-github-com-junegunn-fzf`) Guix complained that there
was no deamon running, so do I need a second shell running the deamon (`sudo -
E ./pre-inst-env guix-daemon --build-users-group=guixbuild`) as well?

Thank you in advance.