guix-devel

Re: Persian translation

From: pelzflorian (Florian Pelz)
Subject: Re: Persian translation
Date: Tue, 4 Aug 2020 19:08:48 +0200

On Tue, Aug 04, 2020 at 12:57:37PM -0400, Amin Bandali wrote:
> Hi Ali Reza,
>
> Ali Reza Hayati writes:
>
> > Hey guys.
> > I hope you all are well.
> >
> > I wanted to contribute to GNU and Guix but I'm not a programmer so I
> > thought maybe I can translate Guix to Persian if it's needed. Can you
> > guys help me to start? What should I do? Where should I start?
> >
> > I have a GNU Savannah account now. What's the next step?
>
> Thanks for your interest and for volunteering to translate Guix into
> Persian.  I'd be happy to help with translating and/or reviewing
> yours/others' translations.
>
> I believe the translation of Guix is done using the Translation Project,
> consisting of the three "packages" guix [0], guix-manual [1], and
> guix-packages [2] as of now.
>
> [0]: <https://translationproject.org/domain/guix.html>
> [1]: <https://translationproject.org/domain/guix-manual.html>
> [2]: <https://translationproject.org/domain/guix-packages.html>
>
> We should probably start by emailing the "team lead" for the Persian
> team <https://translationproject.org/team/fa.html> and ask to join the
> team.  I don't think translating Guix requires a disclaimer, but you may
> consider doing so anyway, if you may at some point in the future
> contribute translations to other projects which require it.  It would
> probably be a good idea to join the translation-team-fa mailing list as
> well.
>
> <https://translationproject.org/html/translators.html> contains general
> instructions for translators.

This is very much correct.  You just need to edit the PO file from
<https://translationproject.org/team/fa.html> in a PO editor and after
adding some translations submit it to the Translation Project.  But
you should first talk to your team.

However I see little activity on
<https://translationproject.org/team/fa.html>.  Please report back if
there are any problems reaching the team lead.  Also the Guix System
installer does not support right-to-left scripts yet (the bug was
reported here <https://issues.guix.info/issue/35319>).

Regards,
Florian