guix-devel

Re: The problem of packaging Minetest mods/games

From: Mike Gerwitz
Subject: Re: The problem of packaging Minetest mods/games
Date: Tue, 19 May 2020 23:46:02 -0400

On Wed, May 20, 2020 at 00:36:44 +0200, Leo Prikler wrote:
>> Could we for example place the mods in the ~/.minetest/games folder?
> That's not very functional of you.  In theory, you can put stuff there,
> but not using Guix.  As an example, Stepmania reads all its
> configuration, data and cache from ~/.stepmania-<version>, so that's of
> course where I put the data – data, that is already unfit to be managed
> by Guix due to licensing issues, mind you.  In the case of Minetest
> mods/games, that folder quickly gets stale however, so I'd not suggest
> doing so unless you really need to.

I still think it ought to search ~/.minetest/games, though, for those
things that may not be installed using guix.  For example, minetest has
a built-in means of downloading games/mods.  While it's best to use a
package manager, it also breaks functionality if it doesn't work both
ways.

--
Mike Gerwitz