guix-devel

Re: The problem of packaging Minetest mods/games

From: Ricardo Wurmus
Subject: Re: The problem of packaging Minetest mods/games
Date: Wed, 20 May 2020 02:47:06 +0200

Jan <address@hidden> writes:

> The second problem I encountered during examining the package was every
> time I changed the path of the minetest_game in the minetest-data
> package minetest was also recompiled, which took long time. (I thought
> the path is improper)
> My question is, what is the Guix way of dealing with such packages?
> Imagine we have like 100 packaged minetest mods/games. Say I wanted to
> add one, would I have to recompile the whole minetest package (C++),
> despite the fact all mods are just Lua scripts put into folder and
> interpreted by the engine?

Is there a search path?

> Could we for example place the mods in the ~/.minetest/games folder?

If minetest looks in ~/.minetest/games then it probably can also be made
to look in a list of directories specified via an environment variable.
That would be the Guixy way.  Let minetest specify a search path and
install the data files and plugins in a well-known directory suffix.

--
Ricardo