guix-devel

Re: Cookbook translations

From: Julien Lepiller
Subject: Re: Cookbook translations
Date: Tue, 28 Apr 2020 14:23:32 -0400

Le 28 avril 2020 13:46:33 GMT-04:00, "Björn Höfling" <address@hidden> a écrit :
>Hi Florian,
>
>On Tue, 28 Apr 2020 01:42:31 +0200
>"pelzflorian (Florian Pelz)" <address@hidden> wrote:
>
>> On Tue, Apr 28, 2020 at 01:24:30AM +0200, Björn Höfling wrote:
>> > I wondered: do you know how the cookbook translations are
>> > organized?
>
>[..]
>
>> The cookbook is not available at the TP because no POT file is
>shipped
>> in Guix’ tarball.  Julien suggested moving the translation from the
>TP
>> infrastructure to a Weblate setup (which I agree Guix should try and
>> experiment with), so instead of waiting for inclusion of the cookbook
>> at the TP I just commited the German translation directly to Guix
>> master without going through the Translation Project.  (It is
>> important that the version at the TP is the most current version, but
>> since there is no cookbook at the TP, it does not matter currently.)
>>
>> Regards,
>> Florian
>
>I see.
>
>Do you want to use the hosted version of Weblate or are there plans to
>host it within Guix?
>
>I just wondered because Weblate uses Node/yarn packages:
>
>https://github.com/WeblateOrg/weblate/blob/master/scripts/yarn/package.json
>
>Would that be OK for just hosting it as a service or do we need the
>npm/yrn-importer first? :-)
>
>Björn

The translation project is already hosted outside the guix project, so I don't
see any issue if we're not able to package it just yet.

hosted.weblate.org has some tracking in place (a matomo instance hosted by the
weblate author). I wouldn't like to expose our users to it. Fedora has a
weblate instance open to any free software project with no tracking, so I was
suggesting using it instead.