guix-devel

Re: Guix System video review on YouTube

From: Danny Milosavljevic
Subject: Re: Guix System video review on YouTube
Date: Mon, 27 Apr 2020 12:20:25 +0200

Hi,

On Mon, 27 Apr 2020 00:32:27 +0200
Jonathan Brielmaier <address@hidden> wrote:

> XFCE: no network-manager installed by default (seems not so important on
> a QEMU image)

Yeah, but it would be nice if we could warn the user if he tries to
install some package manually (using guix install) that would require a
service to work, the latter of which we would have anyway.

We could mention in the description of the package that there is a service
and people ought to really use that.

Maybe we could even extend guix lint to periodically traverse all Guix
service types for default packages and then check whether the warning is
in the desciption of those packages.

Very few other distributions make the distinction of service vs package.
I think the distinction is good to have, but still some kind of warning
would be nice if the service is missing in the os config.