guix-devel

Re: Progress on the Hurd; new state of wip-hurd-vm

From: Jan Nieuwenhuizen
Subject: Re: Progress on the Hurd; new state of wip-hurd-vm
Date: Mon, 20 Apr 2020 07:39:32 +0200

Vincent Legoll writes:

Hello Vincent,

> I just had a tour of that branch, it looks like there are interesting
> patches wrt cross-building, aren't those ready for upstream (core-
> updates maybe) ?

Yes, some of them (gnutls, git, python) have just been cleaned-up and
applied to core-updates.

> I'm looking at the first one (for perl) for example...

Ah, that one took some review and effort, see https://bugs.gnu.org/40698
and has now been applied too.

> I've been trying to cross-compile the binary-tarball to new arches,
> without any success, all failing the same way, on perl...
>
> And when it hit me that there is a recurring theme in those failures
> I found a few issues and ML posts about the same problem.
>
> So, what's the status of those patches ?

Hard to tell!  Some of those are ready, others need review, others need
work.

The autotools patches need review, but they work.  The patches to
cross-build guix need some discussion and worse, cross-compiling guix
currently uses a terrible kludge; so while also that "works", its still
under development.

Greetings,
janneke

Freelance IT http://JoyofSource.com | AvatarĀ® http://AvatarAcademy.com