guix-devel

Re: 1.1.0rc1 available for test!

From: Vagrant Cascadian
Subject: Re: 1.1.0rc1 available for test!
Date: Thu, 09 Apr 2020 20:20:15 -0700

On 2020-04-09, Ludovic Courtès wrote:
> Hello Guix!
>
> I’ve run “make release” from the new ‘version-1.1.0’ branch and uploaded
> the result:
>
>   https://web.fdn.fr/~lcourtes/software/guix/1.1.0rc1

The only tarball I see there is:

https://web.fdn.fr/~lcourtes/software/guix/1.1.0rc1/guix-1.0.1.13450-01d5f2.tar.gz

Which does not correspond to the commit from 01d5f2 (which happens to be
a few hundred commits behind master)...

Which commit was it actually built with? I know it's not a release, per
se, but git tags would be *really* helpful even for release candidates...

When building my own local guix tarballs, I found it disturbingly easy
to get the wrong version information into the tarball .version and
.tarball-version and consequently the resulting tarball...

It also appears to be missing gnu/services/linux.scm, which causes it to
fail to build when I attempt to build the debian package:

  [ 49%] LOAD     gnu/tests/linux-modules.scm
  WARNING: (guix build download-nar): `dump-port*' imported from both (guix
serialization) and (guix progress)
  ;;; Failed to autoload make-page-map in (charting):
  ;;; missing interface for module (charting)
  ;;; Failed to autoload make-page-map in (charting):
  ;;; missing interface for module (charting)
  random seed for tests: 1586480372
  error: failed to load 'gnu/tests/linux-modules.scm':
  ice-9/eval.scm:293:34: no code for module (gnu services linux)

  Some deprecated features have been used.  Set the environment
  variable GUILE_WARN_DEPRECATED to "detailed" and rerun the
  program to get more information.  Set it to "no" to suppress
  this message.
  make[3]: *** [Makefile:5859: make-go] Error 1
  make[3]: Leaving directory '/<<PKGBUILDDIR>>'

But gnu/services/linux.scm is present in git...

I notice gnu/services/linux.scm is also missing in some of my locally
built git snapshot tarballs, so there appears to be something broken in
the tarball generation process.

live well,
  vagrant