guix-devel

Re: 01/02: services: Allow modprobe to use "/etc/modprobe.d".

From: Brice Waegeneire
Subject: Re: 01/02: services: Allow modprobe to use "/etc/modprobe.d".
Date: Wed, 08 Apr 2020 14:06:02 +0000

Hello,

Brice Waegeneire <address@hidden> skribis:
On 2020-04-05 21:15, Ludovic Courtès wrote:
address@hidden skribis:
Looking at this, I was wondering if it would be possible to not use
/etc/modprobe.d and instead have a way to tell the modprobe wrapper to pass “-C /gnu/store/…-modprobe.d”, which would contain the right thing.

Thoughts?

What's the issue with using /etc/modrpobe.d?

In general, use of the global file system name space isn’t great: it’s
ambiguous (compare to a /gnu/store reference) and doesn’t work well upon
rollback or reconfigure (things that refer to /etc end up referring to
the “new” /etc after reconfigure, even though that might not actually
work.)

Conversely, “-C /gnu/store/…-modprobe.d” unambiguously refers to the
intended directory.

WDYT?

It's good with me, I'll do as suggested -using the environment variable-
when implementing “kernel-module-configuratuion-service-type”.

- Brice