guix-devel

Re: 01/02: services: Allow modprobe to use "/etc/modprobe.d".

From: Brice Waegeneire
Subject: Re: 01/02: services: Allow modprobe to use "/etc/modprobe.d".
Date: Wed, 08 Apr 2020 14:03:08 +0000

Hello Bengt,

On 2020-04-06 09:29, Bengt Richter wrote:
On +2020-04-06 07:54:47 +0000, Brice Waegeneire wrote:
What's the issue with using /etc/modrpobe.d?

I would think the fundamental issue is pure vs impure dependencies:
i.e., /gnu/... vs /var/guix vs /elsewhere/...

IIUC, the consequence of using /etc/... or ~/... or other non-/gnu/...
is that if you want to run something in a container with chrooted root,
you have to cow-fake /etc and all the rest of non-/gnu/... environment,
so your executable is not as generally usable as possible if
nuisance adjustments were not necessary.

People who might want to use it anyway have to think about a bunch
of stuff not relevant to what they actually want to do -- they
will wind up debugging functionally-irrelevant implementation stuff.

Maybe I misunderstand, but are you and Ludo on the same page
re the fundamental concept of guix and how it plays in various contexts? (allowing for "practicality beats purity"[1] when absolutely necessary ;-)

Yes, only the reason why to do it was eluding me. I'll keep in mind your rule
thumb.

- Brice