guix-devel

Re: Packaging pjproject

From: Jan
Subject: Re: Packaging pjproject
Date: Fri, 31 Jan 2020 17:27:45 +0100

On Fri, 31 Jan 2020 17:05:28 +0100
Marius Bakke <address@hidden> wrote:

> Unfortunately there is no single approach for dealing with these kinds
> of problems, as they are typically highly package-specific.
Do I have to learn GNU Make to be able to deal with it?

> I must admit that I'm a little confused between pjproject and
> pjproject-jami.  Is it correct to assume that the latter exists only
> because the former fails to build?  Why are you trying to switch?
Both pjproject and pjproject-jami are Pierre's work.
pjproject is unmodified, but never worked, while pjproject-jami is
pjproject with Savoir-faire Linux patches - they introduce some serious
modifications, which are usable only for Jami. That's why
pjproject-jami exists. pjproject-jami works only because configure
flags disable unused dependencies, yet somehow our Jami package crashes
because of something connected to pjproject.
https://git.jami.net/savoirfairelinux/jami-packaging/issues/63

> Would it make sense to get rid of pjproject entirely (nothing depends
> on it) in favor of pjproject-jami?
We could do it, but why do so, if most of the work has been done? Guix
System is incremental work and even if nothing needs pjproject now, it
could be useful for someone in the future. It just needs to be fixed.

Jan Wielkiewicz