guix-devel

Re: Parameterized packages

From: zimoun
Subject: Re: Parameterized packages
Date: Wed, 15 Jan 2020 14:54:25 +0100

On Wed, 15 Jan 2020 at 12:51, Pierre Neidhardt <address@hidden> wrote:

> zimoun <address@hidden> writes:
>
> > For example, be able to rebuild all the packages with GCC-8.3, or to
> > install Python packages with Python 3.5 instead of the current default
> > Python 3.7.
>
> I think this would tackle a different issue.  The point of parameters is
> to offer _composable_ and _package-specific_ build options to the user.
> A build system cannot know what it means to build with Pulseaudio or
> without Wayland.

I do not see the difference between using specific locale [1] (for a
package that does not explicitly depend on glibc) and using a specific
version of the "compiler" used by the build system.

Maybe I miss the point...

[1] https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/guix-devel/2019-05/msg00285.html

> Can't we already do what you are saying by the way?  By means of
> settings some build-system-specific arguments from fold-package?

Everything is doable with Guix. ;-)
However, it is not clear to me what is the best/easiest way to go.
For example, here [2] I give a try.

[2] https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/help-guix/2020-01/msg00087.html

And what I was thinking is a mechanism to easily set some arguments to
the build-system; for example changing the compiler toolchain (say
replacing GCC by Clang/LLVM).

Well, as I said, I do not know if it is related to "parametrized
packages" because I am not sure to understand the final aim for these
"parametrized packages". :-)

All the best,
simon