guix-devel

Re: Parameterized packages

From: Pierre Neidhardt
Subject: Re: Parameterized packages
Date: Wed, 15 Jan 2020 12:51:11 +0100

zimoun <address@hidden> writes:

> For example, be able to rebuild all the packages with GCC-8.3, or to
> install Python packages with Python 3.5 instead of the current default
> Python 3.7.

I think this would tackle a different issue.  The point of parameters is
to offer _composable_ and _package-specific_ build options to the user.
A build system cannot know what it means to build with Pulseaudio or
without Wayland.

Can't we already do what you are saying by the way?  By means of
settings some build-system-specific arguments from fold-package?

--
Pierre Neidhardt
https://ambrevar.xyz/