guix-devel

Re: Mailman packaging (was: Re: Python package naming: Dots vs hyphens)

From: pelzflorian (Florian Pelz)
Subject: Re: Mailman packaging (was: Re: Python package naming: Dots vs hyphens)
Date: Mon, 18 Nov 2019 14:14:12 +0100

Thank you for your work and for looking at projects’ mailing lists
etc. :)  I still have not set up mailman on my server, but am still
going to work on it.  I agree everywhere except the non-free emails
and a typo in a description, see below.

On Mon, Nov 18, 2019 at 12:13:51PM +0200, Efraim Flashner wrote:
> On Wed, Nov 06, 2019 at 02:18:33PM +0100, pelzflorian (Florian Pelz) wrote:
> > You have:
> >
> > (define-public mailman
> >   (package
> >     (description
> >      "GNU Mailman is software for managing email discussion and mailing
> > lists.  Both users and administrators generally perform their actions in a
> > web interface, although email and command-line interfaces are also provided.
> > The system features built-in archiving, automatic bounce processing, content
> > filtering, digest delivery, and more.")
> >
> > I have:
> >
> >     (description "This is the core engine for the GNU Mailing List manager.
> > It
> > is part of the full GNU Mailman 3 suite.  Mailman is the GNU Mailing List
> > Manager, a program that manages electronic mail discussion groups.")
> >
> > Maybe your mailman description is more appropriate later for a service
> > in doc/guix.texi instead of this package?  Feel free to disagree.
> >

> I kept mine for now

OK.  It is good for finding the main mailman package, I agree.

> > You have:
> >
> > (define-public python-flufl.bounce
> >   (description "The @code{flufl.bounce} library provides a set of heuristics
> > and an API for detecting the original bouncing email addresses from a bounce
> > message.  Many formats found in the wild are supported, as are VERP and
> > RFC 3464.")
> >     (license license:asl2.0)))
> >

> > I have the same package inputs etc., except:
> >
> >     (synopsis "Email bounce detectors")
> >     (description "The @dfn{flufl.bounce} library provides a set of
> > heuristics
> > and an API for detecting the original bouncing email addresses from a bounce
> > message.  Many formats found in the wild are supported, as are VERP and RFC
> > 3464 (DSN).")
> >     (license (list license:asl2.0 ;except for an emails used as test data
> >                                   ;which may be non-free
> >                    license:lgpl3)))) ;only for setup_helpers.py
> >
> > I prefer your description without DSN at the end, but I prefer my
> > license list.
> >

> According to Debian the test emails are OK
> https://sources.debian.org/src/flufl.bounce/3.0-1/debian/copyright/

AFAIU non-free e-mails as test data are not a problem for the FSDG
anyway, but I am not convinced the authors listed in that Debian
copyright file have asked the e-mails’ authors for permission.  I
cannot decide if a comment like

> >     (license (list license:asl2.0 ;except for an emails used as test data
> >                                   ;which may be non-free

is necessary though.

Further below:

> > I have:
> >
> > (define-public python-dkimpy
> >   […]
> >     (license
> >      license:zlib)));except for an email used as test data which may be
> > non-free
> >
> > Yours seems much better, except the license header.

This is the same as the above test data issue.

I continue:

> > You have:
> >
> > (define-public python-flufl.lock
> >     (synopsis "NFS-safe file locking with timeouts for POSIX systems")
> >     (description
> >      "This package provides NFS-safe file locking with timeouts for POSIX
> > systems.")
> >     (license license:asl2.0)))
> >
> > I have:
> >
> >     (synopsis
> >      "NFS-safe file locking with timeouts for POSIX systems.")
> >     (description
> >      "The @dfn{flufl.lock} package provides NFS-safe file locking with
> > timeouts for POSIX systems.  It is similar to the @code{O_EXCL} option of
> > the
> > @code{open} system call but uses a lockfile.  Lock objects support
> > lock-breaking so that you can’t wedge a process forever.  Locks have a
> > lifetime, which is the maximum length of time the process expects to retain
> > the lock.")
> >     (license (list license:asl2.0
> >                    license:lgpl3)))) ;only for setup_helpers.py
> >
> > I think my description is too long and yours is too short.  I prefer
> > my license list.
>
> I took the first two sentences of yours and then combined the last two.

Good. :)  You are missing a plural s in the last sentence now though:

    (description
     "The @dfn{flufl.lock} package provides NFS-safe file locking with
timeouts for POSIX systems.  It is similar to the @code{O_EXCL} option of the
@code{open} system call but uses a lockfile.  Lock object support lock-breaking
and have a maximum lifetime built-in.")

> > You have:
> >
> > (define-public python-importlib-resources
> >
> > I have no such package because it is no longer needed, I think.  I
> > have not packaged all dependencies yet so I cannot try building
> > mailman.  You made a comment in your mailman package that
> > importlib-resources is no longer needed.
> >

> I tried to build mailman without it but it complained that it was
> missing.

You are right.  Changing this would require changes to many files.
Your importlib_resources package looks fine.

> > I have:
> >
> > (define-public python-py3dns
> >     […]
> >     ;; license variant is the CNRI License Agreement for Python:
> >     (license license:psfl)))
> >
> > Yours is better except the description and possibly license.
>
> The license is already installed to %out/share/doc/name-version/LICENSE

OK, I agree, such comments are superfluous.

> I think I intended to come back for the description later :)

Regards,
Florian