guix-devel

Re: 02/02: import: cpan: Adapt for the change to guile-json version 3.

From: Ricardo Wurmus
Subject: Re: 02/02: import: cpan: Adapt for the change to guile-json version 3.
Date: Thu, 22 Aug 2019 09:59:48 +0200

Hi,

> Mark H Weaver <address@hidden> writes:
[…]
>> Can you help me understand why the apparent switch _away_ from hash
>> tables in Guile-JSON-3 has somehow led to increased usage of hash tables
>> in this commit, as well as the addition of 'hash-ref*' in the exports of
>> (guix import utils)?
>
> I think the answer is somehow I'm still using an earlier version of
> Guile JSON.
>
> → ./pre-inst-env guile -c '(begin (use-modules (json)) (display
> (json-string->scm "{\"foo\": 1}")))'
> #<hash-table b3dd40 1/31>
>
> When I run configure, that seems happy with the version of Guile JSON.
>
>   checking whether Guile-JSON is available and recent enough... yes
>
> However, I'm running ./configure in guix environment guix, and yeah,
> that seems to provide a different version of guile-json to the one that
> I apparently have implicitly in my profile.

The problem is with the “guix” package, which used to give you an
environment containing guile-json@1.  This was changed in commit
2eb0628a423a36bc21777d7439885baa9a9a8e6d.  (If that’s not the culprit
perhaps it’s an old version of Guile JSON in your profile?)

Do “guix environment guix --ad-hoc guile-json” in the meantime.

> Back to these changes though, all I wanted to do was to fix the
> importer, but if the problem is with my environment not the Guix code,
> then these changes probably need reverting (as they'll break the
> importer who's not got a similarly broken local setup).

Yes, the changes should be reverted.

--
Ricardo