guix-devel

Re: Is there a way to upgrade only packages with substitutes?

From: Katherine Cox-Buday
Subject: Re: Is there a way to upgrade only packages with substitutes?
Date: Sat, 03 Aug 2019 08:25:02 -0500

address@hidden writes:

> Hello, Katherine! I fuzzily remember this subject in maillists, maybe
> we discussed this feature. And there were instruction of how to define
> in `guix package -u` those packages you won't update.
> Also I know guix has feature to check substitutes (`guix weather`, is
> it?).

Yes, sorry, I think I have given the impression that I have had no way
of working around this; I do, and I have. It is just an inconvenience.

Usually what I do is that when I come upon a package that will take a
long time to build, I kill the upgrade, pass the package to
`--do-not-upgrade`, and continue.

> I think we need a script that will do this:
> 1) guix pull
> 2) get a list of new packages and dependencies that all will be updated
> 3) check which of them haven't substitutes
> 4) run `guix package -u` without those packages that have not substitutes.
> 4.1) or run `guix package -u` without only those big packages you
> defined like 'not to update if they have no substitutes'
>
> I think this can be done with guix features but this is hard work, not
> for usual users.
> And sure guix must have this feature.

Yes, I think it would be better for users, and on Guix's infrastructure.

--
Katherine