guix-devel

Re: Is there a way to upgrade only packages with substitutes?

From: znavko
Subject: Re: Is there a way to upgrade only packages with substitutes?
Date: Sat, 03 Aug 2019 04:30:56 +0000

Hello, Katherine! I fuzzily remember this subject in maillists, maybe we
discussed this feature. And there were instruction of how to define in `guix
package -u` those packages you won't update.
Also I know guix has feature to check substitutes (`guix weather`, is it?).

I think we need a script that will do this:
1) guix pull
2) get a list of new packages and dependencies that all will be updated
3) check which of them haven't substitutes
4) run `guix package -u` without those packages that have not substitutes.
4.1) or run `guix package -u` without only those big packages you defined like
'not to update if they have no substitutes'

I think this can be done with guix features but this is hard work, not for
usual users.
And sure guix must have this feature.