guix-devel

Re: merging or rebasing for wip- branches?

From: Ricardo Wurmus
Subject: Re: merging or rebasing for wip- branches?
Date: Wed, 31 Jul 2019 17:27:18 +0200

Hi Robert,

> I’ve been working on some patches on the wip-haskell-updates branch. For now,
> I’ve been making new commits, and occasionally merging master, not least
> because forced push is rejected. But this makes the branch more messy than
> necessary — do you generally not rebase the wip-branches, or if not, could I
> be allowed to force-push to that branch?

You can delete the branch and then re-create it.  That’s equivalent to a
force push and that’s totally fine for wip-* branches.  (Not so
convenient, but I don’t know if we can relax the force push restriction
easily.)

We only merge master into wip branches when we’ve already built the
branch and we just want to touch it up a little without invalidating
most of the builds.

--
Ricardo