guix-devel

Guix beyond 1.0: let’s have a roadmap!

From: Jesse Gibbons
Subject: Guix beyond 1.0: let’s have a roadmap!
Date: Fri, 28 Jun 2019 12:57:50 -0600

My wishlist (a bit wordier and less organized than what most have
responded):

- At least two have already said this, improve package searching. I
  recommend every package have an optional list of keywords or
  keyphrases to make searching a lot more reliable and possibly faster.

- Refactor the package modules. A lot of packages stand alone in their
  own module when they could fit well into an already established
  module without making it much larger.

- Document all functions or syntax exported in any guix modules (like
  substitute*) either in the guix manual or in a separate guix reference
  manual.

- Debugging/diagnostic mechanism for hanging build processes. (I want
  to know why guile-emacs takes forever to build on my machine).

- `guix import git` to more easily define packages from a git
  repository.

- A way to generate a manifest from the command line.

- A way to generate a service definition from the command line.

- A way to select services and system-wide packages in the graphical
  installer (like how aptitude lets you browse and select packages when
  installing debian)

- A way to install a service (built for mcron or shepherd) specifically
  for a user.

- #:glib-or-gtk option for (potentially) all build systems (like what
  meson-build-system currently provides). If not for all build systems,
  at least for python-build-system.