guix-devel

Re: Fennel and Luarocks

From: P
Subject: Re: Fennel and Luarocks
Date: Wed, 19 Jun 2019 06:45:39 +0000

‐‐‐‐‐‐‐ Original Message ‐‐‐‐‐‐‐
On Tuesday, June 18, 2019 6:28 PM, Dan Frumin <address@hidden> wrote:

> Hi Marlin!
>
> I am not really familiar with the Lua ecosystem, but wouldn't it be desirable
> to use Guix to manage Lua package, the way it's done for e.g. Haskell
> right now?
>
> I don't fully understand how luarocks works, but is it possible to have an
> "importer" for luarocks packages, similar to e.g. the hackage importer?
>
> Best,
> -Dan
>
> On 18-06-19 03:35, Marlin wrote:
>
> > I'm trying to port over fennel and luarocks to guix.
> > Fennel is a lisp language which compiles to lua, and luarocks is a
> > Pypi-like package manager for lua libraries
> > I believe a luarocks build system would be needed.
> > The packges are luarocks.scm and fennel.scm, located at my personal channel.
> > https://framagit.org/marlin1113/marlin-guix-packages

It should definitely be possible, especially for pure Lua packages. What would
be even cooler is if we could share packages between Lua versions.

luarocks can't do that on its own, but since most pure Lua modules are
compatible with all three major versions (5.1/luajit,5.2,5.3) it would be
desirable to be able to only install them once.

It would make testing packages with multiple Lua versions much easier and could
also cut down on disk usage.